Brighton’s Jubilee library is the South East’s most popular library, and the UK’s second most-visited, according to the latest library survey issued by the Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountancy (CIPFA).
Brighton’s Jubilee Library had 974,890 visitors in 2012-13 coming second only to Norfolk and Norwich Millennium Library, which had 1,273,416 visitors, topping the poll.
Oxford Central Library had the third highest number of items issued in the UK, at 646,871 while the Jubilee Library appeared at ninth on the list with 479,145 issues.
As a whole the South East experienced a 3.4% decrease in its total expenditure on library services in 2012-13, however it only saw a net loss of one library across the region.
Speaking on the UK wide data released today by CIPFA on libraries in the UK, CIPFA’s Chief Executive Rob Whiteman said:
“Local authorities across the UK have worked hard over the past few years to identify savings and reduce their spending but now also seem to be looking at new ways of keeping their libraries open to the public.
“While the number of libraries and staff has fallen again, this has slowed. However the surge in volunteer numbers would suggest that libraries are searching for new ways to engage and serve their communities.”
Notes to editors:
1. Headline figures from the latest CIPFA library statistics are available from www.cipfastats.net, with the full dataset available to subscribers.
2. For national library data from CIPFA please see the national press notice here:
3. Popularity is defined in relation to the number of visits to the library and the number of stock issues.
4. Library statistics:
Number of service points
South East exc. London
Yorkshire & Humberside
*Please note, where statistics have been shown in '000s, they have been rounded to the nearest thousand. Therefore, in some instances figures might not add down to totals. Percentage differences are based on the rounded totals.
5. The busiest libraries in the UK are:
Top 20 by number of visits per annum
Norfolk & Norwich Millennium
Brighton & Hove
Newcastle upon Tyne
Central Library Dundee
The Hive Worcester
Idea Store Whitechapel
Barking & Dagenham
Barking Learning Centre
Top 20 by number of issues per annum
6: Staff and volunteer numbers:
Analysis of Staff and Volunteers in UK libraries
These figures are based on returns to the CIPFA Public Library Actuals survey 2012-13.
* The CIPFA survey asks for the library with the most visits and also the library with the most issues in a year, therefore only one library can qualify per authority. There is a small possibility that one authority could have a second library that would appear in the top 20 libraries. E.g. Colchester in Essex is the most visited library is Essex, however Chelmsford has higher issues, so if Colchester has >380,000 issues per annum it will still not be included in the above top 20.
T: +44 (0)20 7543 5703
T: +44 (0)20 7543 5830
T: +44 (0)20 7543 5787