Course bookings and enrolment now open for students of CIPFA’s Professional Accountancy Qualification.
Enrol now >
The Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountancy (CIPFA), the world’s only professional accountancy body dedicated to public finance, has launched a unique and innovative apprenticeship scheme in public financial management during the UK’s national apprenticeship week.
Designed to attract individuals to a career in public finance, the one-year apprenticeship is managed by CIPFA, allowing employers to focus on cultivating new talent within their organisations, while apprentices on the scheme gain valuable work experience at the same time as studying for a professional accountancy qualification. The apprenticeship provides apprentices with an Association of Accounting Technicians (AAT) Level 4 qualification.
The national scheme is being launched after a successful pilot in the West Midlands, last year. The pilot saw apprentices based at public sector and partner organisations across the region and working within areas as diverse as public health, local government and accountancy.
Speaking at the launch event Rob Whiteman, CIPFA Chief Executive, said:
“It is a real privilege to be announcing the launch of this innovative and exciting apprenticeship training programme for young people. The fact that it has met with such enthusiasm from sponsors, employers and apprentices during the pilot shows the strength of the scheme.
“The involvement of major employers in this scheme means that the apprentices will have the opportunity to gain invaluable work experience alongside their studies in public finance.
“It is a fantastic example of how CIPFA is developing partnerships to widen access to the accountancy profession, enable young people to build rewarding careers, and grow the next generation of public financial managers.”
Contact: Matthew Patterson
CIPFA Press Office
t 020 7543 5787
Notes to editors
1. The national CIPFA public finance apprenticeship scheme is being launched this week, the UK’s national apprenticeships week.
2. CIPFA finance apprentices will be placed in a real job, in a real organisation, and will learn on-the-job, picking up skills and experience from colleagues and mentors.
3. One day a week apprentices will be required to attend the CIPFA Education and Training Centres (CETC) in either, London, Birmingham or Manchester to train for the Association of Accounting Technicians (AAT) Level 4 qualification.
4. The apprentices are recruited and employed by CIPFA on a fixed term contract of one year. During this time they will work and study, developing their skills and implementing their knowledge throughout the contract.
5. The CIPFA apprenticeships pilot scheme has been run by CIPFA and a consortium of employers in the West Midlands, including Grant Thornton, Birmingham City Council, Coventry City Council, Nuneaton & Bedworth Council and Birmingham Women’s NHS Foundation Trust.
6. The pilot scheme recruited and trained apprentices who then worked for the partner employers for a fixed term. During this time they undertake study for a recognised accountancy qualification. The pilot scheme has been running since September 2013 and will finish in August 2014.
How to become a CIPFA finance apprentice
Recruitment for the next intake of the apprenticeship scheme will begin in June 2014, to start work and studying in September 2014.
How to become an employer partner on the CIPFA Finance Apprenticeship Scheme
For companies interested in taking on an apprentice/s: the scheme is open to new employers at any time and requires a single service payment, with all recruitment, selection, HR and payroll being dealt with by CIPFA, allowing the employer to focus on cultivating fresh new talent in their organisation for a fixed term period of 12 months.
How to find out more
If you are interested in either becoming a CIPFA apprentice or employer please visit the CIPFA Apprenticeships webpage here: www.cipfa.org/qualifications/apprenticeships.
Or call the Employer Relations team on, T: 020 7543 5757
Or email email@example.com
T: +44 (0)20 7543 5703
T: +44 (0)20 7543 5830
T: +44 (0)20 7543 5787