Five point plan for Northern Ireland
Following the elections in Northern Ireland in February 2017, CIPFA looks at the challenges faced by the new Executive. It considers governance, the provision of effective public services and the longer-term financial situation.
The 2017 election in Northern Ireland came one year after the previous election and after months characterised by governance failures. Following the election this CIPFA Briefing suggests a five point plan to ensure Northern Ireland remains a country with modern progressive public services that focus on the needs of the people.
The five points include:
- Actively delivering good governance to the people of Northern Ireland.
- Development of strategic outcomes and service alignment.
- A citizen centred approach to public services in Northern Ireland
- Implementing a fiscal framework and improving long-term financial planning.
- Reassess the devolved powers and funding mechanisms required post Brexit.