When are exams?
All exam dates are kept up to date on our Exams page. Alternatively you can visit our Key dates page.
How do I book my exams?
You can book your exam from our Exams page on the website.
Take note of the following:
- Be sure you know how you would like to sit your exams (e.g online at home) before you book your exams as exams can only be booked onto once.
- If you require a purchase number for your exam invoice, be sure to have it ready.
- Make sure you book your exams on time! There are late fees for students who do not book their exams on time, you can find out all the details from our Key dates page.
Practice questions and mock exam
Practice tests and mock exams are available on the LIVE exam system so students can familiarise themselves with the style of questions and the system prior to the actual exam. For more information, please visit our Practice test information.
Where can I take the exam?
You can take your exam at a location of your choice such as your place of work or at home. Anywhere that is quiet, private and there is a reasonable internet connection. In most cases a standard meeting room at work will be fine.
Where else can I sit the exam if home or work is not an option?
If you are having difficulties in finding a suitable location for your exam (for example, you have spoken to your IT department and they have specifically said it is not possible) please contact us at Student Support, stating what your issues are and we will assist you. For example, if you need us to talk to your employer on your behalf, we can do so.
Will my employer’s internet firewall prevent me from taking the exam?
If you intend taking your exam at work you need to check that the PC you are taking your exam on can access the CIPFA online exam system and allows you to login. We suggest you do this as soon as you receive your login details in case you experience any problems it will give you sufficient time to liaise with your IT department.
What identification do I need to bring?
You will need a photo ID; a driving licence or passport.
If you do not have either of these, a photo ID and another form of ID containing a signature will need to be shown for example, a work pass and a bank card.
What can I take into the exam room?
- A PC or laptop connected to the Internet with working webcam, microphone (or earphones with mic) and sound.
- Pen or pencil and rubber
- Four sheets of scrap paper lined or blank
- No notes are allowed in the exam room
- No smartphones or smart watches can be used during the exam However, we suggest that you keep your mobile phone in the exam room but out of reach in case the invigilator needs to contact you
- A drink
- A reflective surface like a mirror or CD
What do I do if there is a disturbance at home or at work during the exam?
Disturbances happen, such as a fire alarm at your workplace. If you have time, please notify your invigilator before leaving the exam. Once the disturbance has finished you will need to contact your invigilator to restart your exam.
If you are at home and there is a disturbance (a doorbell rings for example), do your best to ignore it and continue with your exam.
What happens if the internet power fails?
In the event of a power failure your remote invigilator will seek to re-establish contact with you once your power/connection is back up. When you log back into the system you will be prompted to recover your test and the remaining time will only continue once you re-start.