Bribery and corruption are ever-present threats, as highlighted by recent warnings from bodies including the EU and Transparency International, the publication of the UK Anti-Corruption Plan and the 2010 update of the UK Bribery Act.
Public bodies involved in commercial activity must be able to defend themselves against criminal liability under the Act, which is why CIPFA has developed an anti-bribery and corruption e-learning package.
Watch our video.
About the e-learning
The e-learning package is designed for those who require a working knowledge of bribery and corruption risks and the requirements of the UK Bribery Act 2010 as part of their job role, and those responsible for staff training.
The package is accessed via CIPFA's online learning platform and includes:
- An in-depth course covering the key definitions, main offences, the UK Government’s Anti-Corruption Plan and the jurisdictional reach of the Act. It also includes advice on how a public body involved in commercial activity can defend itself against criminal liability under the Act.
- A short, interactive slide-set that can be shared with all staff, featuring engaging graphics and illustrations to show how to recognise a bribe and what action can be taken in response.
- Two detailed guidance documents that complement the in-depth course content. One covers the Act in general while the other is aimed at those working abroad.
The package has been developed with the leading fraud, anti-bribery and corruption expert Professor Alan Doig.
- The e-learning is designed to strengthen your organisation’s bribery and corruption defences by teaching staff what constitutes a bribe and corruption, the preventative measures that can be taken and what is covered by the Act.
- It can complement your organisation’s own anti-bribery and corruption guidelines and policies.
- The package caters for every member of staff, including those responsible for managing anti-bribery and corruption.
- The in-depth course takes approximately 40 minutes to complete while the short slide-set for all staff takes just 10 minutes.
- All elements of the package are accessible on any device with an internet connection.
- On request, we can report on the staff who have completed the e-learning.
One of your subscription benefits
If your organisation subscribes to the Counter Fraud Centre, you have automatic access to the anti-bribery and corruption e-learning for all staff as part of your subscription.
Simply login to the website and go to My Online Learning.
You also receive 10% off the price of the full package.
Alan is a Visiting Professor at Liverpool Business School, Centre for Public Services Management. He has published extensively on public ethics, corruption, and financial crime (in the UK, and the international context). Recent publications include Fraud: The Counter-fraud Practitioners Handbook, 2012.