The Fraud Risk Wheel is an online tool offering guidance on how different fraud risks arise. It includes the steps or controls that can be put in place to mitigate the risks and case studies to illustrate how similar organisations have dealt with the issues.
It is accessed via the CIPFA website (there's a link at the bottom of this page) and covers five of the most prevalent fraud risks:
- Expenses fraud
- Procurement fraud
- Gifts and hospitality fraud
- Pensions fraud
- Social housing fraud
The Wheel's content is kept up-to-date by our counter fraud team and guidance on new fraud types is being developed.
Watch our video
New in 2017 - social housing fraud
We have worked with TIAA to develop guidance for housing associations and registered social landlords.
The Fraud Risk Wheel now features detailed guidance on the main social housing fraud risks, including:
- Key selling
- Application fraud
- Unlawful sub-letting
- Succession fraud
- Right to buy
The Wheel is designed to help you:
- conduct your fraud risk assessment and create a fraud risk mitigation plan – use the tool to check that you have included all possible risk factors and the associated controls
- present fraud risks to your senior management team in a dynamic and engaging way – simply by logging onto the CIPFA website
- train staff on how to identify possible fraudulent activity and the actions they can take to prevent fraud from occurring
- review the organisation’s fraud risks in response to major changes, such as service mergers, major new contracts or significant staff changes.
A resource for the whole organisation
Once you have purchased the Wheel, an unlimited number of your colleagues can access it simply by registering on the CIPFA website using their work email address.
One of your subscription benefits
If your organisation subscribes to the Counter Fraud Centre, there's no need to purchase the Wheel - you and your colleagues have automatic access to it as part of your subscription.
Access the Wheel
If your organisation subscribes to the Centre or you've purchased the Wheel, login to the website and click here.