To help public sector organisations manage their fraud risk process more effectively – and boost their fraud defences – we have developed an interactive, online Fraud Risk Wheel that presents detailed guidance on different fraud risks.
About the Wheel
The Wheel includes guidance on how different risks arise, the steps or controls that can be put in place to mitigate them and case studies to illustrate how similar organisations have dealt with the issues.
It is accessed via the CIPFA website and covers four of the most prevalent fraud risks:
- Expenses fraud
- Procurement fraud
- Gifts and hospitality fraud
- Pensions fraud
The Wheel’s content is kept up-to-date by our counter fraud team and guidance on new fraud types is being developed.
New in 2017 - social housing fraud risks
The Wheel now includes a section on fraud risks affecting the social housing sector. Developed in partnership with TIAA, the new guidance covers:
- Application fraud
- Key selling
- Unlawful sub-letting
- Succession fraud
- Right to buy
Watch our video
The Wheel is designed to help you:
- conduct your fraud risk assessment and create a fraud risk mitigation plan – use the tool to check that you have included all possible risk factors and the associated controls
- present fraud risks to your senior management team in a dynamic and engaging way – simply by logging onto the CIPFA website
- train staff on how to identify possible fraudulent activity and the actions they can take to prevent fraud from occurring
- review the organisation’s fraud risks in response to major changes, such as service mergers, major new contracts or significant staff changes.
A resource for the whole organisation
Once you have purchased the Wheel, an unlimited number of your colleagues can access the Wheel simply by registering on the CIPFA website
using their work email address.
Accessing the Wheel
If you have already bought the Wheel or your organisation subscribes to the Counter Fraud Centre, click here to login to the website and begin using it.
To purchase the Wheel, click here.