Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login.

Notification

Icon
Error

Anonymous
#1 Posted : 10/05/2017

Hi - I'm not sure if this is straightforward or not (I initially thought so but don't want to jump to the incorrect conclusion). It's an issue arising as we're seeing more of our schools becoming academies.

Our property team are asking if there's a way that we're able to recover VAT on capital expenditure relating to expansion schemes at various academies. The schemes would be funded by our Basic Needs Capital Grant, so would be as a result of the Council's statutory need to ensure sufficient school places in our borough. The schemes are at the Council's behest rather than initiated by the Academy themselves.

My initial thinking was that the academies should incur the capital spend themselves, then we'd reimburse the net cost from the grant and the academy would claim the input VAT back, so everything would be relatively straightforward.

However there are increasing concerns around the number and size of schemes that may be necessary. We lose a degree of control over costs where schemes are undertaken by the academy, and this is proving problematic in terms of keeping costs within a level we can afford (as well as complications around the drawing up of the grant agreement). The question has been asked as to whether we can legitimately undertake the work on an academy's property ourselves, and this has led to the discussion and problems around claiming VAT back on expenditure relating to a non Council property.

Has anyone had similar experience or discussions? Is there a way that we would be able to do the work ourselves and claim the VAT back? Many thanks.

James Lyon
#2 Posted : 01/11/2018

Hi all,

Posting to resurrect this topic as I am interested in how this has been managed elsewhere.

Thanks