Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login.

Notification

Icon
Error

D.Barclay
#1 Posted : 13/07/2018

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
HMRC are finally released the final version of VAT Notice 700/22 on Making Tax Digital for VAT.

Happy reading!!

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/vat-notice-70022-making-tax-digital-for-vat/vat-notice-70022-making-tax-digital-for-vat#digital-record-keeping
 1 user thanked D.Barclay for this useful post.
Sola on 7/17/2018(UTC)
david kay
#2 Posted : 09/08/2018

Does anyone know what the technical name of what HMRC need us to have in place so I can tell my ICT department what that is please?
All I have currently need to do the monthly Vat return is reports from my accounting software (Agresso) copied and sorted in a multi sheet spreadsheet and then I type it into the govt gateway.

Now I need some bridging software, but surely there is a specific type that HMRC need us to have?
is that right?

David
Trevor Steel
#3 Posted : 10/08/2018
Organisation: Aneurin Bevan University Local Health Board

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
HMRC have published a list of software suppliers that have created and tested software in HMRC's test environments:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/software-suppliers-supporting-making-tax-digital-for-vat/software-suppliers-supporting-making-tax-digital-for-vat

Looking at the list, it is possible that some may just be producing modules to fit with their existing financial systems, whereas others' products may be more generic. HMRC has made it clear that they don't intend to provide any software themselves, all they are doing is providing the specifications to allow others to write it.

Presumably all the listed suppliers will cope with the standard nine-box VAT return as used by businesses and local authorities. For central government, NHS, etc., I'm still waiting to hear from HMRC how the additional "VAT 21" boxes for the COS headings will be dealt with.

Theoretically it is also possible to register with HMRC as a software developer and create your own solution - but I don't know in practice how feasible this would be. It probably depends on what programming skills your organisation already has in-house.

Remember that if you use a "bridging software" or "API spreadsheet" solution (rather than a module of your existing financial systems), you'll need to make sure that all steps in the process are "digital links". My understanding is that importing, linked spreadsheets, macros, etc. may count as a digital link; but retyping or a simple copy / paste would not.
 1 user thanked Trevor Steel for this useful post.
sparky on 9/14/2018(UTC)
david kay
#4 Posted : 06/09/2018

Trevor Steel wrote:
"Remember that if you use a "bridging software" or "API spreadsheet" solution (rather than a module of your existing financial systems), you'll need to make sure that all steps in the process are "digital links". My understanding is that importing, linked spreadsheets, macros, etc. may count as a digital link; but retyping or a simple copy / paste would not."

Into the current spreadsheet I use a lot of copy and paste from reports run in the database then sorting the data and taking out figures claimed last month etc.

Do other local authority users think that I can take it that the info I am copying (or exporting if that is more likely to be a complying factor) out of our financial systems database can be classed as the 'digital link'?
Then all cut/paste/copying etc after that can be traced back to a report that can be recreated at any time in the database and therefore classed as the 'digital link'?

Otherwise I don't see how I can get the database figures into the workings out spreadsheet without an export or copy/paste. if I export them, in effect a copy paste anyway, then they still need to be sorted into what I can and cant claim, unless I create a LOT more than the standard 2 reports Tax and GL. so the sorting is all done in the report and exported into the spreadsheet. Would that suffice HMRC's requirements?
Sorry that last bit goes on a bit, but I'm trying not to reinvent the wheel if I can and not cause myself a lot more work. we are yet to contact a supplier about bridging software, but Integra (our software supplier) and PWC have contacted us so far with their MTD solutions.

thanks,
David.
Mr Grant Hitchman
#5 Posted : 06/09/2018
Organisation: Sandwell MBC & Wolverhampton City Council

Having been involved in the discussions with HMRC at the JVCC MDT Sub-committee they do not like copying and pasting as this is human intervention and expect hyperlinks to be used. I think that this is a bit idealistic.

It still unclear how much pressure HMRC will put on bodies to have no human intervention from the initial entry to the production of the VAT Return.

Edited by user 06/09/2018  | Reason: grant.hitchman@wolverhampton.gov.uk

field500
#6 Posted : 14/09/2018

My understanding of the requirement is that the actual communication of the data to HMRC is either directly from within the Finance system or via an API enabled spreadsheet.

With the later, it will almost certainly mean data is keyed into that spreadsheet from the Finance System/Reports/VAT return.

For future years, I would expect Finance Systems to be more developed for MTD - although its all very well asking providers to make their product MTD compliant - there are very significant lead times in Local Authorities (and other bodies) to ensure any upgrades/developments etc are fully tested. There are still a significant number of providers NOT on the HMRC list of compliant providers.

Regards
Mr Paul Seviour
#7 Posted : 17/10/2018
Organisation: Greater London Authority

This was sent to me today from a firm of accountants. I haven't been able to find the HMRC source.

HMRC announced the start of the pilot where some VAT regsitered entities can start using MTD.

At the same time, HMRC has announced that it is deferring the mandatory application of Making Tax Digital for VAT for a small minority of VAT-registered businesses with more complex requirements until 1 October 2019. The six-month deferral applies to taxpayers who fall into one of the following categories: trusts, ‘not for profit’ organisations that are not set up as a company, VAT divisions, VAT groups, those public sector entities required to provide additional information on their VAT return (Government departments, NHS Trusts), local authorities, public corporations, traders based overseas, those required to make payments on account and annual accounting scheme users.

We are still pressing ahead to get ready for MTD in spite of this deferral.

DSP
#8 Posted : 17/10/2018

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)