Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login.

Notification

Icon
Error

D.Barclay
#1 Posted : 13/07/2018

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
HMRC are finally released the final version of VAT Notice 700/22 on Making Tax Digital for VAT.

Happy reading!!

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/vat-notice-70022-making-tax-digital-for-vat/vat-notice-70022-making-tax-digital-for-vat#digital-record-keeping
 1 user thanked D.Barclay for this useful post.
Sola on 7/17/2018(UTC)
david kay
#2 Posted : 09/08/2018

Does anyone know what the technical name of what HMRC need us to have in place so I can tell my ICT department what that is please?
All I have currently need to do the monthly Vat return is reports from my accounting software (Agresso) copied and sorted in a multi sheet spreadsheet and then I type it into the govt gateway.

Now I need some bridging software, but surely there is a specific type that HMRC need us to have?
is that right?

David
Trevor Steel
#3 Posted : 10/08/2018
Organisation: Aneurin Bevan University Local Health Board

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
HMRC have published a list of software suppliers that have created and tested software in HMRC's test environments:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/software-suppliers-supporting-making-tax-digital-for-vat/software-suppliers-supporting-making-tax-digital-for-vat

Looking at the list, it is possible that some may just be producing modules to fit with their existing financial systems, whereas others' products may be more generic. HMRC has made it clear that they don't intend to provide any software themselves, all they are doing is providing the specifications to allow others to write it.

Presumably all the listed suppliers will cope with the standard nine-box VAT return as used by businesses and local authorities. For central government, NHS, etc., I'm still waiting to hear from HMRC how the additional "VAT 21" boxes for the COS headings will be dealt with.

Theoretically it is also possible to register with HMRC as a software developer and create your own solution - but I don't know in practice how feasible this would be. It probably depends on what programming skills your organisation already has in-house.

Remember that if you use a "bridging software" or "API spreadsheet" solution (rather than a module of your existing financial systems), you'll need to make sure that all steps in the process are "digital links". My understanding is that importing, linked spreadsheets, macros, etc. may count as a digital link; but retyping or a simple copy / paste would not.