CIPFA benchmarking clubs look at the key functions affecting efficiency in your organisation such as finance, governance, revenues and benefits, HR, legal and democratic functions.
CIPFA is the market leader in local government comparative data with years of experience. Our team offers you unrivalled expertise and operates to the highest standards.
All our reports are prepared using extensive analysis and robust validation of data. To help you get the maximum benefit from your report, we give you access to all the raw data, plus a tool to help you analyse it further.
As benchmarking club members, you will be invited to review meetings. These meetings provide an opportunity for you to network with your peers and share advice.
Corporate Services Benchmarking and Social Care Benchmarking
CIPFA's Corporate Services Benchmarking Clubs comprise of streams that support the organisation by improving key back office functions to maximise efficiency and deliver more services with a reduced budget. By measuring the cost and performance of service delivery, this will enable you to streamline services.
Our Social Care Benchmarking Clubs are streams that support the service that your organisation provides. This includes comparative data for all aspects of adult and children’s social care to help authorities share data in a supportive environment. This extends to the peer support groups where successes can be shared and ideas debated and trialled.
Interactive tools for Benchmarking services allow you to:
- easily select service areas that interest you
- deepen your understanding of how well your service is performing
- choose which local authorities you would like to be compared to.
Check out how they work by watching this video.
Other comparative data sets
We provide the essential data to help you make important business decisions. Our comparative data sets are grouped as follows:
- Comparative Profiles – compare an authority to a selected group across indicators, collected from key public sector data sources.
- CFO Insights - is powered by CIPFA and delivered in partnership with Grant Thornton. It is an online analysis tool that gives instant access to insight around the financial performance, socio-economic context and service outcomes for every council in England, Scotland and Wales.
- Fees and Charges – some authorities are now finding income generating initiatives bring more autonomy, independence and a reduced reliance on central government support. Are your service charges in line with your peers?
- Nearest Neighbours Model – is CIPFA's statistical approach to better understanding the similarities and differences between neighbouring authorities in England. The model utilises a database of 41 different indicators to analyse the relationships between English authorities, helping you to assess who you should be benchmarking yourselves against.
- VfM Indicators – will assess your organisation’s performance and pinpoint its strengths and weaknesses. HM Treasury specifically recommends collecting and reporting on back-office performance for organisations with more than 250 employees.
- VfM Toolkit – an easy to use, visual tool, the VfM Toolkit allows you to track the costs and performance of your services and compare them to your peers. Watch this video to see the VfM Toolkit in action.
To discuss which comparative data sets best suit your needs contact us via E: email@example.com or T: 020 7543 5600.
How we can help you
Our benchmarking exercises are designed to answer questions such as:
- How are you performing?
- Are you performing better year on year?
- How does your performance compare with that of peer organisations?
- Are you providing value for money?
They also provide an opportunity to answer your questions:
- Can we learn anything from other organisations?
- Where exactly does our performance fall short?
- What level of improvement can we realistically expect to make?
All of the above are applicable no matter how your services are delivered, whether in-house, via shared services or contracted out.
- Over 100 data sets available, providing you with a one-stop shop for comparative performance data.
- All areas of local authority activity covered which means that we have something for everyone.
- Avoid costly mistakes and learn from your peers to reduce your project implementation costs and timescales.
- CIPFA's over 100 years’ experience means that we understand your issues and challenges.
- We can link a wide range of additional services to support your complete transformation projects.