In these times of transformation, making the most of opportunities for increasing available revenues is even more important. Income-generating activities account for more than £11bn of local government expenditure across England, representing just over 9% of the overall spend nationwide. However, this figure varies significantly by authority from just 2% to more than 50%.
Many authorities are hardly scratching the surface in exploring and exploiting the many income generation powers and options available to them. Options some authorities are now finding can not only make a real impact in generating additional funds but can also bring more autonomy, independence and a reduced reliance on central government support.
This report was developed to provide evidence-based outcomes for authorities looking to generate more income from service provision. The report complements and extends the findings presented in our successful income generation profiles which is included free of charge.
What is included?
In the income generation profile we will identify the key areas in your authority in which there is opportunity to generate additional income, providing key decision makers with evidence-based recommendations to support robust decisions.
The reports look at the following in relation to income generation:
- service-by-service overview of sources for income and comparison to your nearest neighbours
- ranking system drawing attention to the highest potential income growth areas
- trend analysis identifying where service functions represent income growth
- sensitivity analysis to demonstrate extrapolated performance over time
- analysis of services that are underperforming in terms of income generation potential
- executive summary and conclusions drawing out the main findings and recommendations.
The comparative profiles pack
You will be provided with an income generation management report tailored to your individual authority. You will also receive the income generation profile pack free of charge containing three sets of profiles, comparing your authority to:
- all authorities across England and Wales
- all other authorities within your region
- your nearest neighbour grouping.
In addition, you will receive an interactive Excel tool to enable you to analyse the data further and export charts for your own reports. You will also be able to request an additional profile compared with any selection of authorities at no additional charge.
There are a number of benefits from signing up:
- professional reports from a trusted source
- no additional work required as they draw on data returns already made
- helps you to understand your services better
- identify potential areas for generating additional income
- identify authorities who are performing well
- saves you time and money on analysing the data yourself
- understand your figures better before finalising your next RO return
- get involved and help us develop the profiles to be even better.