Job description, key responsibilities and experience
Wealden is a large rural district council located in a stunning area of the South East of England reaching from the south coast either side of Eastbourne and the South Downs National Park up to the High Weald and Ashdown Forest along the borders of Tunbridge Wells and East Grinstead in the north.
As a respected, forward-thinking local authority, Wealden places strong financial management at the heart of everything we do. This is an excellent opportunity to lead the key areas across the general fund revenue and capital programme to make a real difference and play a crucial role shaping the future of Council services.
Key responsibilities covering the general fund revenue and capital programme include:
- Plan, co-coordinate, lead and monitor the Council’s budget setting process with the aim of producing a robust and sustainable medium term financial strategy that underpins the Councils tax setting.
- Plan, co-ordinate and lead the budget monitoring processes.
- Liaise with finance staff to help produce quarterly budget monitoring reports.
- Supporting the delivery of high-level financial advice, guidance and support to budget holders, heads of service and directors, this will include providing support to the Council’s expanding project streams.
- To lead on areas for the production of the annual statement of account and liaison with external auditor.
To be suitable for this role you need to be a qualified accountant (preferably CIPFA), alternatively partial qualification and / or the ability to demonstrate experience and knowledge to undertake this role. You will have the ability to build relationships and influence senior stakeholders, and have proven experience of preparing management accounts, forecasts, budgets and final accounts, preferably in a local authority context. Experience of commercial activities undertaken by local authorities would be an advantage. You will need excellent interpersonal skills, substantial experience of working with computerised financial information systems and excellent communication skills.
Our hybrid working arrangements make working as easy in the home as at the office based in Hailsham, East Sussex, so there is some flexibility about where and when you work.
We offer an excellent package, including competitive salary, career average salary pension scheme, an employee benefit scheme offering a range of discounts and salary sacrifice schemes, flexitime and discounted leisure centre membership.
Wealden District Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults, and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
How to apply
Contact Andrew Barton at CIPFA-Penna
Phone: 07922 386 432