How to use discussion forums
- There are currently seven discussion forums on TISonline: VAT, Audit, Finance, Capital and Treasury, Housing, Fraud and the Section 33 VAT Network (the Section 33 VAT Network is only available to members).
- The discussion forums can be viewed here: https://www.cipfa.org/tisonline/discussion-forums – to post in a specific forum, go to Log in (top left) and then once logged in click on the forum of your choice, eg VAT.
- In each discussion forum the topics currently under discussion are listed, with the most recent discussions at the top. To view a topic click on the bold title. All the posts in that topic will be shown in sequential order, with the most recent post shown last.
- To start a new topic of discussion within a forum, click on New Topic (blue button at top right). Enter a subject and your message, then click Post.
- To reply to a post click on Post Reply (blue button at top of page). Type your reply in the box, using the formatting buttons if necessary, then click Post.
- You can edit or delete your posts at any time. These options will only be available on your own posts. The options appear as Edit/Delete (grey buttons) when you hover over your post, simply click on them to delete/edit.
- You can attach documents to your post. To do this first click New Topic or Post Reply and then tick Attach files to this post under Options, then click on Post, then Browse to your document and click Upload. Once uploaded click on Back to return to the post. You can add attachments to existing posts by clicking on Attach (a grey button which appears when you hover over your post). Add documents by clicking on Browse, selecting the document and then clicking on Upload. Weblinks can simply be pasted into your post, or use the create link icon.
- You can opt to receive notification of all new messages by email, informing you when new posts are added to forums. To sign up click on a forum, navigate to the bottom of the screen and click on Watch Forum.
- To receive a daily summary of posts, go to My Profile (top left) then click on Email Notification Preferences (last option under Personal Profile on the left hand side) then at the top tick Receive once daily digest/summary of activity.
- Your name and organisation will be automatically shown on your posts. If you need to correct your name, or if you prefer to choose a screen name rather than your real name, go to My Profile at top left and click Edit Profile on the left. If your organisation is displaying incorrectly please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you wish to post anonymously, you must first edit your profile. Go to My Profile at top left, click Edit Profile on the left and then change the first field What name do you want displayed to others? to something of your choice (initials for example), then click Save at the bottom of the screen. Note that this will change your name for all your previous posts. Feedback from users indicates that anonymous posts are less helpful than named posts. If you are not prepared to put your name to a post, is it really worth posting?
- You can send a private personal message to another user, for example to request a copy of a document. Click on PM below the user’s post. Personal messages will appear under My Inbox at the top of the page.
Note: VAT forum
The VAT discussion forum is of a general nature only and does not represent CIPFA's formal advice on tax issues. CIPFA does not give any warranty as to the accuracy of any postings made on this forum. CIPFA has a formal arrangement with Deloitte to provide a subscriber based tax advisory service which it commends to organisations that require formal advice on taxation matters.
- Messages should relate to the general topic under discussion.
- Advertisements and commercial or marketing postings are not appropriate.
- Personal attacks or comments are prohibited.
- Brief responses such as acknowledgements or thanks are discouraged. Please consider that registered users of the forums receive email notifications of all new messages and responses that do not add value to the discussion may prove irritating.
- The option to post anonymously is intended for use where a post relates to a sensitive topic, and where it is not appropriate to identify the user or their employing organisation. We ask that users consider whether they need to post anonymously, and that they post using their names wherever possible.
- Any opinions expressed in the discussion forums belong to the respective message posters. You, the user, agree that you are solely responsible for the content of your messages. In contributing to tisonline.net discussion forums you are agreeing that you will not knowingly use our website to post material, or links to material, which is false and/or defamatory, in violation of intellectual property rights or otherwise in violation of any law.
- CIPFA disclaim any liability with regard to the discussion forums and any actions resulting from your participation. Views expressed do not reflect those of CIPFA and as such we cannot be held responsible for content found on discussion forums at tisonline.net.
- CIPFA operates a ‘notice and take down’ policy. In the event of an inappropriate posting or on receipt of a complaint, a posting or discussion may be removed from the website. CIPFA will contact the contributor who posted the material and advise them of the nature of any complaint. The complainant and the contributor will be encouraged to resolve the issue to the satisfaction of both parties.
- CIPFA reserves the right to edit or delete posts as appropriate in line with our posting policy.
- Participants in any discussion are deemed to have agreed to abide by these rules.