About this course
There has been significant growth in partnership arrangements between public bodies and private and third sector organisations, heightened by the current public spending environment.
In addition, high profile governance failures in managing contracts by some local public bodies and feedback from those working in the public sector, point to a need to improve the skills of those who manage contracts.
This unique training course brings together contemporary contract management theory and existing good practice in a structured way. It has a highly applied and focused approach designed to give you the knowledge, understanding and practical skills necessary for managing contracts effectively.
Who is the course aimed at?
- New staff who have specific responsibility for contract management.
- Experienced staff who have had no formal structured training or who would like to update their knowledge and skills.
- Staff working at various levels in all public bodies, including central government, NDPBs, local government, health and education.
The CIPFA Certificate in Contract Management is completed over approximately nine months. This includes:
- 10 days of classroom learning
- approximately 80 hours of additional work to complete the assessment requirements.
Below is a summary of the course modules. Please download the course brochure for full details.
- Introduction to contract management (one day)
- Specification writing (two days)
- Contracts and Service Level Agreements (one day)
- Negotiation skills (one day)
- Financial appraisal of contractors (one day)
- Exiting, changing and migrating contracts (one day)
- Managing contracts (two days)
- Partnership models and continuous improvement (one day)
In addition to completing the modules, you will be required to submit:
- a portfolio of evidence that records the learning achieved in each module and your ability to undertake specific tasks
- a written project (circa 3,500 words).
On successful completion of the modules and assessment, you will be awarded the Certificate in Management Practice (Contract Management Skills), which is equivalent to NVQ Level 3.
On successful completion of the programme, you can apply for CIPFA Affiliate membership. If you’re not already a CIPFA member, this is a great way to access a wealth of resources and networking opportunities.
To find out more and apply, click on ‘Other professionals’ at: www.cipfa.org/join
In addition to our open courses, the Certificate in Contract Management can also be delivered in-house and at your location, saving you valuable time and money.
This is especially cost-effective for organisations interested in training a number of individuals or whole teams and requires a measure of flexibility in delivery.
For more information about running the course in-house, contact us at: InHouseTraining@cipfa.org
This course carries 150 CPD hours.