About the course
Corporate governance is understandably very high on the public sector agenda. Our unique Certificate in Corporate Governance training course utilises case studies and expert theory and seeks to:
- ensure that organisations are appropriately constituted, structured and operate the appropriate governance processes
- support good practice financial reporting as well as a system of internal controls
- exemplify standards of behaviour as a way of enabling good governance in organisations.
You will learn:
- how to apply the corporate governance fundamentals in the public sector
- how to establish and maintain a strategically effective framework
- how to identify business risk with a potential impact on corporate governance
- the role of the Board and those with whom they interact
- management of internal and external relationships.
Who is the course aimed at?
- Staff who support the Board.
- Staff with a responsibility for governance but with no formal training.
- Middle and senior managers or aspiring managers.
- New or aspiring Board members.
The CIPFA Certificate in Corporate Governance is completed over approximately nine months. This includes:
- eight days of classroom learning
- approximately 80 hours of additional work to complete the assessment requirements.
Below is a summary of the course modules. Please download the course brochure for full details.
- Hallmarks of effective governance (one day)
- Effective governance frameworks (two days)
- Servicing the Board (one day)
- Impact of risk (one day)
- Making accountability a reality (one day)
- Promoting corporate values and behaviours (one day)
- Governance in practice (one day)
In addition to completing the modules, you will be required to submit:
- a portfolio of evidence that records the learning achieved in each module and your ability to undertake specific tasks
- a written project (circa 3,500 words).
On successful completion of the modules and assessment, you will be awarded the Certificate in Corporate Governance, equivalent to NQF Level 4.
On successful completion of the programme, you can apply for CIPFA Affiliate membership. If you’re not already a CIPFA member, this is a great way to access a wealth of resources and networking opportunities.
To find out more and apply, click on ‘Other professionals’ at: www.cipfa.org/join
In addition to our open courses, the Certificate in Corporate Governance can also be delivered in-house and at your location, saving you valuable time and money.
This is especially cost-effective for organisations interested in training a number of individuals or whole teams and requires a measure of flexibility in delivery.
For more information about running the course in-house, contact us at: InHouseTraining@cipfa.org
This course carries 136 CPD hours.