About the programme
The CIPFA International Certificate in Financial Crime Investigation will equip you with the knowledge and skills required to lead and manage financial crime investigations in anticipation of legal or other similar proceedings.
It is taught by qualified anti-financial crime practitioners from the CIPFA Counter Fraud Centre; all of whom have extensive experience of financial crime management.
The principles and concepts are grounded in good practice gained from real-life experience and research from across the globe, making this programme truly international in both scope and application.
The course can be delivered at CIPFA's London headquarters – click on the green 'Search course calendar' button for upcoming dates.
It can also be delivered at your location, wherever you are based. This is especially cost effective for organisations interested in training a number of individuals or whole teams. To find out more, contact us at: InHouseTraining@cipfa.org
What will I learn?
The programme covers the following:
- Financial crime, motivations and typologies: the drivers of financial crime, offending and the types of financial crime commonly encountered. Plus the international frameworks designed to help counter financial crime.
- Financial crime investigation standards: internationally recognised good practice standards in the investigation of financial crime.
- Financial crime investigation modelling: how to apply conceptual frameworks to the investigation of financial crime in order to foster better case management.
- Common rules of evidence: the different types of evidence commonly encountered in a financial crime investigation.
- Evidence management: the principles of a sound evidence management system, including recording of material and effective note taking.
- Conducting searches for material and evidence: how to effectively plan and conduct a basic search of premises and/or work spaces for evidence of financial crime.
- Managing a financial crime investigation: the principles of financial crime investigation case management including risk assessment; objective setting; resourcing; recordable decision making; work-plan; application of the investigative mind-set; appropriate use of technology and quantum verification.
- Financial crime investigation case study: how to apply acquired practical skills and knowledge to conduct a complex financial crime investigation from first notification through to preliminary reporting of findings.
- Investigative interviewing and witness statement taking: the correct approach to adopt when conducting investigative interviews of financial crime suspects and how to obtain witness statements in accordance with good practice guidelines.
- Briefings and reporting findings: how to plan and prepare effective briefings, updates and findings reports in relation to financial crime investigations.
- Recovering the proceeds of financial crime: how the proceeds of financial crime can be concealed and dissipated and the legal tools and investigative approaches to successful recovery across international borders.
Who is the course aimed at?
It has been designed for:
- Investigation managers
- Anti-bribery and corruption compliance officers
- Financial crime compliance officers.
The CIPFA International Certificate in Financial Crime Investigation is normally completed over 13 days, which includes eight days classroom learning.
Assessment and accreditation
The course is assessed via an exam at the conclusion of the classroom days, consisting of short answer/multiple choice questions, and a post-course research project based upon the financial crime investigation case-scenario delivered in the classroom.
When you have successfully completed the programme, you will receive a formal CIPFA certificate.
On successful completion of the programme, you can apply for CIPFA Affiliate membership. If you’re not already a CIPFA member, this is a great way to access a wealth of resources and networking opportunities.
To find out more and apply, click on ‘Other professionals’ at: www.cipfa.org/join.
The price of the programme varies depending on where it is delivered. Please contact CIPFA to discuss the available options.
This course carries 100 CPD hours.