Better Business Cases Practitioner 2023
If you work on developing or reviewing business cases, HM Treasury is recommending that you are accredited on the Better Business Cases programme, which has been jointly developed by HM Treasury and the Welsh Government.
The practitioner course is designed to confirm that you have achieved sufficient understanding of the theory and application of the Five Case Model to allow you to effectively develop and produce a business case. You must have passed the foundation exam before undertaking the practitioner course.
A 10% discount is available to all CIPFA members. If this applies to you, please email email@example.com to make your booking.
If you are a self-funder booking onto the course, full payment will be required prior to the event start date. This can be actioned by selecting the pay by card option. Alternatively, you can contact our customer services team to make a payment.
16 Oct 2023 09:30
17 Oct 2023 16:30
£880.00 excl VAT
Network Member Price
About this event
Building on the learning and skills developed during the foundation course, you will learn to apply and understand how to tailor the Five Case Model to the development of a business case. Specifically you will be able to:
- understand the development life-cycle of a business case and the relationships between the five cases
- apply the steps in the business case development framework, in order to support the production of a business case, using the Five Case Model, for a given scenario
Your trainers will be available throughout the programme to provide support, you will have access to recordings of all module presentations and we will arrange online group clinics during the course.
The classroom learning is delivered online via virtual classrooms. You will be provided a link to join each workshop online. Our trainer will be there to greet you and the other delegates, and we aim to deliver just as we would if everyone was together in a physical training room. For best results we recommend the use of webcams.
The course consists of two days of virtual classroom culminating in the online practitioner exam. The practitioner exam is 2.5 hours in duration with four questions (20 marks each) per paper. Candidates are required to obtain 40 marks (out of 80) to pass.
Who should attend?
- senior responsible owners, programme directors and other directors with responsibility for the successful delivery of programmes and projects
- project managers, project team members and specialist advisers tasked with delivering a business case for investment
- officers involved in the scrutiny and review of investment proposals
How will you benefit from attending?
The practitioner course will give you:
- practical guidance on how to construct a business case using the Five Case Model as a backdrop
- the confidence that the approach you use back in the workplace is a tried and tested methodology
- the ability to report more effectively to decision-makers to get the best possible value for money
- a recognised qualification in the field of business case development
Better Business Cases is a trademark of Her Majesty's Treasury.
- / Financial management
- / Financial reporting
Speaker - Brendan McCarron, Senior Consultant, CIPFA
Brendan is a senior leadership and professional consultant for CIPFA consultancy and training. He leads CIPFA’s CFO Leadership Academy in the UK and for the government of Canada. He is also heavily involved in CIPFA’s finance business partnering work and in change management assignments in the UK and in Europe. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Tel: 07810 547 226.