CIPFA has welcomed the release of the International Federation of Accountants' (IFAC) Pathways to Accrual platform. The digital tool provides resources for public sector organisations planning and undertaking the transition from cash to accrual accounting, including adopting and implementing International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS).
The free-to-air platform was developed by IFAC with content provided by CIPFA, and feedback from the International Public Sector Accounting Standards Board (IPSASB) and other international stakeholders.
Pathways to Accrual is intended to assist a range of public sector entities, including national, regional and local governments, as well as related governmental entities and international governmental organisations.
Rob Whiteman, CIPFA's CEO said: "As the world's only professional body for people in public finance, we have unique insights and expertise in the challenges involved in delivering strong public financial management. CIPFA is delighted to have supported IFAC in developing this flexible knowledge hub.
"Through our contribution to Pathways to Accrual, we aim to promote strong governance and public financial management, sharing our experience from around the world with the many jurisdictions seeking to make the transition from cash to accrual."
The platform includes the following components and resources:
- an overview of the wider context in which the transition to the accrual basis of accounting may occur
- a discussion of various transition pathways that entities choosing an incremental implementation process may adopt
- identification of the main tasks associated with recognition of assets, liabilities, revenues, and expenses, including issues and challenges associated with the identification of, as well as measurement of, those elements in financial statements
- some implications of adopting accrual basis IPSAS
- practical suggestions based on the experience of other entities and jurisdictions
- links to other useful guidance and resources
Notes to editor
CIPFA, the Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountancy, is the professional body for people in public finance. CIPFA shows the way in public finance globally, standing up for sound public financial management and good governance around the world as the leading commentator on managing and accounting for public money.