Organisation: Local Government
Job title: Local Government Graduate Finance Programme
Start date: From July 2021 - while most boroughs will start their graduate programme from September 2021, some may start earlier
Salary (£): Competitive
The scheme aims to bring together local authorities and other public services annually to recruit and train graduates who want to pursue a career in public finance. It’s all about putting talented graduates through a secure, four year programme that will form the first part of their journey towards senior management.
Your opportunity to make a difference
If you’re looking for a challenging and rewarding career where you can make a real impact on real people’s lives, then the Local Government Graduate Finance Programme is for you.
Every year, the scheme brings together local authorities and other public services to recruit and train graduates who want to pursue a career in public finance. This year, you have the opportunity to join one of nine London boroughs on a four-year contract, during which time you’ll gain exposure to every aspect of public finance while studying towards the prestigious Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountancy (CIPFA) Professional Qualification.
The scheme is designed to give you the experience, knowledge and understanding you need to be a future leader in the world of public finance. It provides a rich variety of training and exposure, with opportunities to contribute to all kinds of project initiatives and operational work that will be tailored to your development needs.
Some of the many areas you could get involved in include budget preparation and monitoring, payroll, pensions, treasury, systems, internal audit and accounting. By the end of the scheme, you’ll have the qualifications, confidence and know-how to take on the first big management challenge of your career.
Minimum entry requirements
- Minimum 2:1 degree in any subject (expected or achieved)
- GCSE Maths and English or equivalent (Grade 4 or above)
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Strong numeracy and computer literacy
- Availability from July 2021 (while most Boroughs will start their Graduate Programme from September, some may commence earlier).
Four years working, training and studying on this scheme will prepare you for senior management roles in public sector finance, where you’ll have the chance to influence key decisions that enhance thousands of people’s lives.
From day one, you’ll enjoy:
- job security provided by a fixed-term four-year contract
- excellent benefits including competitive salary, pension scheme and generous holiday allowance
- flexible working environment with strong commitment to work/life balance.