With fraud losses of £2.1bn at local government level, it is money that local authorities can ill afford to lose. Fraud is a major risk to councils both financially and reputationally and should be considered a critical part of formal risk management processes.
TISonline Counter Fraud outlines the major fraud areas in local government as identified in the CIPFA Fraud and Corruption Tracker (CFaCT) survey, including some emerging issues, and suggests ways for practitioners to acknowledge, prevent and address fraud.
- Blue Badge fraud
- council tax fraud
- counter fraud in academies
- counter fraud in schools
- fraud and the planning regime
- housing and tenancy fraud
- insurance fraud
- procurement fraud
- right to buy fraud.
This information stream forms part of TISonline, CIPFA’s online information resource for public sector finance practitioners. Our information streams cover the full range of financial and service functions of local authorities and other public service bodies, giving you a single point of access for essential, authoritative and comprehensive information and commentary on the topics that matter to you.
How to access this service
If your organisation already subscribes to this TISonline information stream, you can access it simply by registering and logging on at www.tisonline.net using a work email address.
To set up a new subscription, complete the order form below and email it to email@example.com.
Subscribe and you’ll benefit from:
- access for everyone in your organisation through a single subscription
- regularly updated guidance by practitioners working in your sector
- up-to-date information that keeps you informed on public sector finance issues
- e-alert services to let you know when new guidance is available in your areas of interest
- discussion forums for peer support, advice and sharing ideas.