A four day course for future leaders and managers supporting the development of excellent leadership practices within public sector finance.
All CIPFA members receive 10% off the price of this course.
About the course
Leaders working within public sector finance require not only comprehensive knowledge of technical aspects of finance and accountancy, but also an ability to get the best from colleagues and those they manage. This highly practical, four day training course supports the development of excellent leadership practices. You will develop the ability and confidence to take on more senior roles in your organisation.
This course complements our CFO Leadership Academy, which is aimed at those who are already, or aspire to be, in senior finance roles in the public sector.
Who is the course for?
This course is aimed at those who have been identified, formally or informally, as being future leaders and managers within their organisations. You are unlikely to have had structured development in this area before, and will be keen to learn more about yourself, as well as build a toolkit to enable you to step into more senior leadership roles.
The course is completed over four days, which are taught over one to two months.
- Module One – Leading Self: Gain greater self-awareness and understand the importance of leadership in the workplace. Key topics include understanding your strengths, potential performance blockers and impact on others, personal resilience and, in turn, building resilient teams.
- Module Two – Leading Teams: An introduction to topics including motivation myths and reality, giving and receiving feedback, optimising leadership styles, which will enable you to develop and lead high performing teams.
- Module Three – Leading Others: Understand more about how you influence stakeholders, senior people and those who you might not directly lead or manage. You learn the importance of understanding the preferences and needs of others and how to select appropriate communication tools and leadership approaches in response.
- Module Four – Leading an Organisation: Consider how leaders and managers need to understand strategy, manage change and lead from the top. What are the essential components of leading an organisation, how is it done and what is required to change cultures? You will work with a case study – making recommendations as to how the organisation can grow and evolve.
The programme can be delivered in-house. This is especially cost-effective for organisations interested in training a number of individuals or whole teams. It also allows us to tailor the course content to your organisation's unique needs and context.
The course costs £950 +VAT per delegate (open course only).
All CIPFA training counts towards your continuing professional development (CPD). If you are a CIPFA Chartered Member, you are required to undertake a minimum of 20 hours of relevant CPD activity each year as part of maintaining your professional competence and to develop skills and knowledge.
Find out more about CPD requirements
Our micro modules are free of charge and offer quick introductions to selected topics. Prepared by CIPFA’s subject matter experts, they deliver key information in an easily digestible, online format.
View our micro modules on:
- Building Personal Resilience
- Leading Change (VUCA)
- Using Assertiveness in Negotiation
- Data Presentation
- Managing a Hybrid Working Team
- The Value of "Constructive Conflict"
- Coaching Skills for Managers
For the full list of our available micro modules, visit www.cipfa.org/training/micro-modules