How to book
- Click on 'Search course calendar' for upcoming open course dates.
- We can also deliver the course in-house, contact us to learn more: InHouseTraining@cipfa.org
About the programme
Finance departments are re-designing themselves to incorporate finance business partnering as the front-line of their efforts to demonstrate that they add value to decision-makers.
This one-day training course sets out the thinking behind finance business partnering as well as the practical steps involved in becoming a trusted adviser and creating real impact on the strategic decisions and direction of the organisation.
Who is it for?
The course is ideal for those wanting to understand the concept of Finance Business Partnering ahead of planning to adopt a business partnering approach, or who have implemented business partnering and want to sense-check their approach.
Format and duration
The course includes facilitated group discussions and exercises using case studies and examples.
The day normally begins at 09:30 and ends at 16:00 with breaks for lunch and refreshments. This can be adjusted, depending on your needs.
Extend your learning
If you are interested in developing your knowledge further, the course naturally leads to CIPFA’s Level 7 qualification in Finance Business Partnering.
Below is the typical course outline, which can be tailored to meet your and your team’s needs.
Partnering and the skills and behaviours of effective business advisers
- Definitions of business partnering and its importance in adding value.
- What business partners do, how they behave and the attitudes, skills and behaviours needed.
Overcoming barriers to change
- The challenges to the idea of business partnering and to implementing business partnering.
- Ways to overcome the challenges at an organisational, departmental and individual level.
The partnering process
- The 'operating model' of business partnering, who is involved and their roles.
- Lessons for business partnering from trusted internal advisers and consultants.
Strategies for making the transition to effective business partner
- Changing the priorities and strategies for the finance department.
- Personal strategies for implementing changes in the workplace, personal action plans and areas for further development.
This course carries seven CPD hours.