All CIPFA members receive 10% off the price of this course.
About this course
Better Business Cases™ is an initiative from HM Treasury and the Welsh government that aims to increase the skills of those involved in preparing or reviewing business cases.
The Better Business Cases™ training is made up of two parts, the foundation and practitioner levels. They are examined against HM Treasury's Green Book Guidance on public sector business cases, using the Five Case Model.
You must successfully complete the foundation level before attempting the practitioner level.
The Better Business Cases™ foundation level offers a comprehensive introduction to developing a business case using the Five Case Model and HM Treasury's guidance.
Through tips and advice on good practice, pitfalls to avoid, mock exam questions, case studies and examples, you will gain:
- insight into developing an effective business case that has public value at its core
- the ability to better scope and plan investment decisions
- the skills to develop a robust framework for transparent decision-making and quality spending proposals
- a recognised qualification to relevant standards
Who is the course aimed at?
The foundation level is aimed at everyone who needs an overall understanding of the process and who will be developing business cases, including:
- decision-makers and senior responsible owners with responsibility for the successful delivery of programmes and projects
- programme and project managers, project team members and their specialist advisers
- those involved in the scrutiny and review of business cases
The open course is currently being delivered via virtual classroom.
- The need for the HM Treasury's guidance
- The Better Business Cases™ Model
- Developing iterative business cases
- Strategic Outline Business Case
- Outline Business Case
- Full/Final Business Case
- Exam preparation
- Mock exam
- Final plenary
The final examination, which is accredited and administered by APMG, is booked via CIPFA on completion of the course. It is taken online at your convenience.
You can choose to complete the training in a number of ways:
- Take part in one of our open courses, currently being delivered via virtual classroom.
- Complete the course online, whenever suits you: www.cipfa.org/ebbc
- Or arrange to have the course delivered in-house. This is especially cost-effective if you're interested in training a number of people. It also means we can tailor the content to your needs, if required. For more information, contact us at: InHouseTraining@cipfa.org
- Open course: two days
- E-learning: one and a half days
The foundation level is assessed via a 40 minute closed-book multiple choice examination, which is accredited and administered by APMG.
On successful completion of the foundation examination, you will receive an internationally recognised certificate from the accrediting body, APMG.
- Open course: 14 CPD hours
- E-learning: 12 CPD hours
All CIPFA training counts towards your continuing professional development (CPD). If you are a CIPFA Chartered Member, you are required to undertake a minimum of 20 hours of relevant CPD activity each year as part of maintaining your professional competence and to develop skills and knowledge.
For full details, visit: www.cipfa.org/cpd
- Open course: £880 +VAT per delegate. A 10% discount is available to all CIPFA members.
- E-learning course: £395 +VAT per delegate
Better Business Cases is a trade mark of Her Majesty's Treasury.