About the course
Better Business Cases™ is an initiative from HM Treasury and Welsh Government that aims to increase the skills of those involved in preparing or reviewing business cases.
The Better Business Cases™ training is made up of two parts, the "Foundation" and "Practitioner" levels. They are examined against HM Treasury's Green Book Guidance on Public Sector Business Cases Using the Five Case Model.
You must successfully complete the Foundation level before attempting the Practitioner level.
The Practitioner level is designed to confirm that you have achieved sufficient understanding of the theory and application of the Five Case Model to allow you to lead the production of a Better Business Case.
You will gain:
- a practical understanding of how to construct a business case using the Five Case Model as a backdrop
- confidence that the approach you use when you return to the workplace is a tried and tested methodology
- the ability to report more effectively to decision-makers to get the best possible value for money
- the industry-leading qualification in business case development.
Who is the course aimed at?
- Programme and project managers
- Finance business partners, procurement business partners, economists and investment specialists
- Those leading the scrutiny and review of business cases and investment decisions
- Overview of the Better Business Cases™ Model
- Identifying appropriate application of Better Business Case model tools and approaches
- Review examples of business cases and drawing out relevant lessons
- Examination preparation, examination practice and review
- Overview of guidance
The Practitioner level is completed over two days – currently being delivered online.
The Practitioner level is assessed via a two and a half hour closed-book multiple choice examination, administered by CIPFA and externally marked.
On successful completion of the Practitioner examination, you will receive an internationally recognised certificate from the accrediting body, APMG.
The programme can be delivered in-house.
This is especially cost-effective for organisations interested in training a number of individuals or whole teams. It also allows us to tailor the course content to your organisation’s unique needs and context.
For more information about running the programme in-house, contact us at: InHouseTraining@cipfa.org
This course carries 14 CPD hours
All CIPFA training counts towards your continuing professional development (CPD). If you are a CIPFA Chartered Member, you are required to undertake a minimum of 20 hours of relevant CPD activity each year as part of maintaining your professional competence and to develop skills and knowledge.
For full details visit: www.cipfa.org/cpd
Open course: £880 +VAT per delegate – a 10% discount is available to all CIPFA members
Better Business Cases is a trade mark of Her Majesty's Treasury.