About this course
If you develop or review business cases, HM Treasury is recommending that you are accredited on the Better Business Cases™ programme which has been jointly developed by HM Treasury and the Welsh Government.
The purpose of the Practitioner course is to confirm that you have achieved sufficient understanding of the theory and application of the Five Case Model to allow you to effectively develop and produce a business case. You must have passed the Foundation exam before commencing the Practitioner course.
Who is the course aimed at?
This qualification is aimed at anyone involved with, or overseeing, a project to understand the work that is necessary to prove a case for investment within the public sector.
This includes and is not limited to:
- senior responsible owners, programme directors and other directors with responsibility for the successful delivery of programmes and projects
- project managers, project team members and specialist advisors tasked with delivering a business case for investment
- officers involved in the scrutiny and review of investment proposals.
What will I learn?
Building upon the learning and skills developed during the Foundation programme, you will learn to understand and apply the Five Case Model effectively to the development of a business case.
Specifically you will be able to:
- understand the development lifecycle of a business case and the relationships between the five cases
- apply the steps in the business case development framework, in order to support the production of a business case, using the Five Case Model, for a given scenario.
Duration and mode of delivery
The course consists of two days of face-to-face training culminating in the Practitioner exam.
The practitioner exam is 2 ½ hours duration with four questions (20 marks each) per paper. Candidates are required to obtain 40 marks (out of 80) to pass.
When and where?
This course is offered in-house and at locations across the UK.
Running the course at your location can help save you money and allow you to tailor content to suit your organisation’s needs and context. For more information, click the blue button to contact customer services.
For upcoming date and location details, click the green button to search our events calendar.
Better Business Cases is a trade mark of Her Majesty’s Treasury.