- To find a course near you and to book a place, click on the green ‘Search course calendar’ button on this page.
- Or contact us about running the course in-house, at your location. This is especially cost-effective if you’re interested in training a number of people. It also means we can tailor the content to your needs, if required. For more information, contact us at: InHouseTraining@cipfa.org
About the course
Better Business Cases™ is an initiative from HM Treasury and Welsh Government that aims to increase the skills of those involved in preparing or reviewing business cases.
The Better Business Cases™ training is made up of two parts, the “Foundation” and “Practitioner” levels. They are examined against HM Treasury’s Green Book Guidance on Public Sector Business Cases Using the Five Case Model.
You must successfully complete the Foundation level before attempting the Practitioner level.
The Practitioner level is designed to confirm that you have achieved sufficient understanding of the theory and application of the Five Case Model to allow you to lead the production of a Better Business Case.
You will gain:
- a practical understanding of how to construct a business case using the Five Case Model as a backdrop
- confidence that the approach you use when you return to the workplace is a tried and tested methodology
- the ability to report more effectively to decision-makers to get the best possible value for money
- the industry-leading qualification in business case development.
Who is the course aimed at?
- Programme and project managers
- Finance Business Partners, Procurement Business Partners, economists and investment specialists
- Those leading the scrutiny and review of business cases and investment decisions
- Overview of the Better Business Cases™ Model
- Identifying appropriate application of Better Business Case model tools and approaches
- Review examples of business cases and drawing out relevant lessons
- Examination preparation, examination practice and review
- Overview of Guidance
The Practitioner level is completed over two days.
The Practitioner level is assessed via a two and a half hour closed-book multiple choice examination, administered by CIPFA and externally marked.
On successful completion of the Practitioner examination, you will receive an internationally recognised certificate from the accrediting body, APMG.
This course carries 14 CPD hours.
Open course: £795 +VAT per delegate
Better Business Cases is a trade mark of Her Majesty’s Treasury.