An APMG accredited, internationally recognised training programme aimed at the wide range of public sector professionals involved in Public-Private Partnerships (PPP) arrangements and Private Finance Initiative (PFI) contracts.
A 10% discount is available to all CIPFA members.
- New courses coming soon
About the course
In 2020 the National Audit Office (NAO) published a report on managing Private Finance Initiative (PFI) assets and services as contracts end. The report stated that public sector bodies within the UK risk underestimating the time, resources and complexity involved in managing the end of PFI contracts. With many contracts coming to an end from 2025, there is danger that important infrastructure could return to the public sector in an unsatisfactory condition and services could be disrupted unless a more consistent and strategic approach is taken.
Recognising the need to build capacity and capabilities in this area, CIPFA has partnered with APMG International to deliver the Certified PPP (P3/PFI) Practitioner (complex contracting) Foundation Level, or CP3P course.
The course is an innovation of the Asian Development Bank (ADB), the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD), the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB), the Islamic Development Bank (IsDB), the World Bank Group (WBG) and part funded by the Public-Private Infrastructure Advisory Facility (PPIAF) with a shared vision of enhancing Public-Private Partnerships (PPP) performance globally.
It is recommended that those working at any stage in the PPP lifecycle are accredited through the CP3P programme, at least to foundation level.
Who is the course for?
The course is aimed at the wide range of public sector professionals involved in PPP arrangements at any stage in the PPP lifecycle, including operations and exit. This includes:
- finance, commercial and legal specialists
- technical and programme/ project management teams
- asset management and property specialists
- reviewers, approvers and decision-makers
It will be of particular interest to those in the UK who need to build an understanding of PPP/ PFI theory and PFI operations and expiry. Whilst the course is designed for public sector professionals, a lot of the content focuses on the private sector's arrangements, interests, incentives, and actions.
The learning objectives at foundation level are to:
- foster a common minimum level of knowledge and understanding amongst practitioners
- assist practitioners to leverage finance and efficiencies from the private sector
- provide practitioners with in-depth knowledge of PPP in practice at Foundation Level and certification which demonstrates they have studied the PPP Guide*
- increase knowledge of the PPP Guide to cover the chapters outlined below that form part of the process to become a CP3P
*The PPP Certification Program Guide, known as the PPP Guide, is the Body of Knowledge (BoK) on PPPs and will help public officials and their advisors implement efficient, sustainable PPPs. The PPP Guide is structured in eight chapters, with the Foundation course focusing on chapters 1 and 2 and providing an overview on chapters 3 to 8.
The course is delivered over two days from the UK and will be taught via virtual classroom.
The course covers the topics listed below. The training will be interspersed with 'lessons learnt' from the PPP/P3 project experiences of our expert trainers. Sample multiple choice exam questions will be used to confirm understanding and wherever possible, case studies will be tailored to local circumstances for in-house delivery.
- Session 1: Definition and characteristics
- Session 2: Alternatives for infrastructure finance and procurement
- Session 3: Types of PPP and other terminology applied
- Session 4: Where and when PPPs are used
- Session 5: Motivations for using PPPs
- Session 6: Typical structure of a PPP
- Session 7: Building Business Cases for PPPs
- Case Study One
- Session 8: How PPPs are financed
- Session 9: Reasons for project failure
- Case Study Two
- Session 10: Introduction to the PPP Framework concept and considerations
- Session 11: Overview of the PPP process
- Case Study Three
- A CP3P mock/ sample exam
The foundation level is assessed via a 40 minute closed-book multiple choice examination. The exam will be completed at a time convenient to you, via the APMG website. It will test whether you have sufficient knowledge and understanding of the PPP Guide to act as an informed team member of a PPP finance project.
On successful completion of the foundation examination, you will receive an internationally recognised certificate from the accrediting body, APMG.
The programme can be delivered in-house. This is especially cost-effective for organisations interested in training a number of individuals or whole teams. It also allows us to tailor the course content to your organisation's unique needs and context.
For more information about running the programme in-house, contact us at: InHouseTraining@cipfa.org
This course carries 14 CPD hours
All CIPFA training counts towards your continuing professional development (CPD). If you are a CIPFA Chartered Member, you are required to undertake a minimum of 20 hours of relevant CPD activity each year as part of maintaining your professional competence and to develop skills and knowledge.
For full details visit www.cipfa.org/cpd
£880 +VAT per delegate (open course only).
CIPFA members are entitled to a 10% discount.