What's going on?
Find out about regional activities in the South East
View CIPFA South East's latest 2021 events plan (updated 29 March 2021) (PDF, 21 KB)
PFI expiry – are you preparing for the exit?
This planned session is postponed until the autumn.
Workplace Wellbeing series – Home and Hybrid working: issues for now and the future
13 May 2021, 11.15-12.15
Register in advance using the Zoom event link
This virtual event in our regional Workplace Wellbeing series is sponsored by CIPFA Penna.
Emma Nixey, Director, The Inclusion Initiative, will present a topical and interactive session designed to help colleagues identify and continue the successes and address some of the difficulties that home working has presented during the Covid-19 pandemic. She will also encourage us to share some personal resilience tips as we consider the implications of hybrid working as a potential part of the 'new normal' for many organisations.
June and July 2021 events
We are planning twice-monthly region-wide Zoom sessions. They will all be recorded for you to access on demand if you cannot participate on the day.
Themes and topics will include:
- Post-COVID 'levelling up' and the economic recovery - what are the implications and opportunities for the public sector?
- Local economic regeneration - new strategies and financial innovation opportunities?
- Resourcing climate emergency declarations and carbon reduction initiatives
- Devolution revisited and localism reinvented. What's the future for our region?
Virtual Mentoring - some pilot sessions are planned!
We will shortly be releasing a workshop/briefing video on developing our regional speed mentoring events in 2021, initially as virtual sessions and then live events when COVID restriction relaxation permits. You could have an opportunity to be involved in these pilots and information about that will be included in the video.
All of our events are 'open door' access to non-CIPFA colleagues working to support the delivery of public services across our region.
If you have any questions about our events, please contact John Barker, Regional Secretary:firstname.lastname@example.org
Photos from recent events can be viewed on CIPFA South East's Flickr page.
Virtual Spring Conference 2021 – 30 April 2021
Diversity and Inclusion in the workplace webinar – 20 April 2021
Budget 2021: what did we learn? and Levelling Up – 12 March 2021
The 'Budget 2021: what did we learn?' and 'Levelling Up' presentations from Ben Zaranko, Research Economist, Institute for Fiscal Studies are available to watch on Vimeo (Password: Budget2021).
Financial resilience, addressing future risks and developing good governance – 29 January and 5 February 2021
During January and February 2021, the CPD theme was Resilience, Risk and Governance. Five presentations (approximately 30 minutes each) are now available to watch on Vimeo (Password: Resilience).
- Spending Review 2020 – Ben Zaranko, Institute for Financial Studies (PDF, 1.42 MB)
- Risky times for the road ahead? – Alix Bedford, Zurich Municipal (PDF, 635 KB)
- Capital financing risk management – Roy Nolan and Andrew Hinds, RP Martin (PDF, 341 KB)
- CIPFA Prudential Code update and the 2021 consultation timetable – David Ellis, CIPFA (PDF, 460 KB)
- Financial Resilience in Local Government – Paul Dossett, Grant Thornton (PDF, 227 KB)
- CPD certificate (Word, 368, KB)
International events – 26 October 2020
Climate Emergency – 15 October 2020
Climate change and carbon reduction – 13 October 2020
CIPFA FM Code – 29 September 2020
New Normal, new risks – 21 September 2020
Public Finance in Wessex 2020 Conference – 12 March 2020
CPD and networking evening – 29 January 2020
Thames Valley Hub Group Meeting – 4 November 2019
West Sussex Hub Group Meeting – 10 September 2019
Spring Conference 2019 – 27 March 2019
- The UK's political and economic horizon – Tony Travers, LSE (PDF, 2.14 MB)
- Managing cost risk in Children’s Services – Alex Khaldi, Barbara Peacock and Claire Hampson, Grant Thornton UK LLP (PDF, 1.17 MB)
- Building financial resilience – Joanne Pitt, CIPFA (PDF, 1.04 MB)
- Brexit legal update – Paul McDermott, Trowers and Hamlins LLP (PDF, 777 KB)
- The future of outsourcing – Mark Williams, PA Consulting Group (PDF, 806 KB)
- The changing role of finance – Mark Williams, PA Consulting Group (PDF, 575 KB)
- Finance Business Partnering – Brendan McCarron, CIPFA (PDF, 425 KB)
- Ethics and you – under pressure? – Rick Tazzini, CIPFA Ethics Working Group (PDF, 2.37 MB)
- Spring Conference 2019 CPD certificate (PDF, 260 KB)
Public Finance in Wessex 2019 Conference – 6 March 2019
- Building financial resilience – Joanne Pitt, CIPFA (PDF, 1.04 MB)
- An introduction to Financial Foresight – Tom Foster, Grant Thornton (PDF, 1.40 MB)
- The UK's political and economic horizon – Tony Travers, LSE (PDF, 2.29 MB)
- Carbon Reduction and the public sector – Roy Nolan and Andrew Hinds, RP Martin (PDF, 1.06 MB)
- Financial governance and the impact of austerity – Laura Hardie (PDF, 1.33 MB)
- Auditing post austerity – a changing focus? – Neil Hunter, LGSS (PDF, 912 KB)
- Accounts closedown issues and future Code changes – David Ellis, CIPFA (PDF, 530 KB)
- Ethical investment – environmental, social and governance factors – Laura Hobbs, CCLA (PDF, 1.27 MB)
Annual Dinner 2018 – 9 November 2018
CPD and networking evening – 19 September 2018
Public Finance in East Anglia Conference – 14 September 2018
- Financial resilience in local government – Joanne Pitt, CIPFA (PDF, 974 KB)
- Vibrant Economy Index – Rob Turner, Grant Thornton (PDF, 1.32 MB)
- Transformation in localities toolkit – Martin Ellender, Grant Thornton (PDF, 952 KB)
- Ethics under pressure – Rick Tazzini, CIPFA ethics working group (PDF, 2.41 MB)
- Ethical investing and Brexit – Roy Nolan, RP Martin (PDF, 846 KB)
- Brexit: no-deal and other outcomes – Paul McDermott, Trowers and Hamlins LLP (PDF, 1.08 MB)
- Public procurement challenges and opportunities – Deborah Pattison, Obillex (PDF, 274 KB)
- Public Finance in East Anglia Conference CPD certificate (PDF, 263 KB)
Summer Conference – 6-8 September 2018
Spring Conference 2018 – 19 March 2018
- The UK's political and economic horizons – Tony Travers, LSE (PDF, 962 KB)
- Using the Vibrant Economy Index as a decision making tool in local government – Guy Clifton and Rob Turner, Grant Thornton (PDF, 2.21 MB)
- Sweating your assets: helping your property portfolio work harder for you – Tim Reade, CIPFA (PDF, 775 KB)
- Sweating your assets: delivery approaches – Andy Pack, 31ten Consulting (PDF, 974 KB)
- Business rates retention and Fair Funding Review – Sophie Broadfield, MHCLG (PDF, 230 KB)
- CIPFA Prudential Code and Treasury Management Code – Roy Nolan, RP Martin (PDF, 1.88 MB)
- Ethical standards – Rick Tazzini, CIPFA Ethics Working Group (PDF, 1.64 MB)
- CFO Insights – Alex Ward, Grant Thornton (PDF, 141 KB)
- CFO Insights – Grant Thornton (PDF, 1.02 MB)
- Spring Conference 2018 CPD certificate (Word, 346 KB)
Public Finance in Wessex 2018 Conference – 8 March 2018
- Hampshire shared services: building the partnership – Gary Westbrook, Hampshire County Council (PDF, 2.77 MB)
- Financial resilience – Jerry Fox, Zurich Municipal (PDF, 1.29 MB)
- CIPFA Prudential Code and Treasury Management Code – Roy Nolan, RP Martin (PDF, 99 KB)
- Sweating your assets – David Bentley, CIPFA (PDF, 785 KB)
- Robotic process automation – Sarah Snowdon, Michael Burton and Gary Westbrook, Hampshire County Council (PDF, 1.06 MB)
- Ethics and you – Christina Earls, CIPFA Ethics Working Group (PDF, 815 KB)
Wessex Hub Group Meeting – 14 November 2017
Annual Dinner 2017 – 10 November 2017
60th Summer Conference – 7–9 September 2017
- Local government: where are we? – Aileen Murphie, National Audit Office (PDF, 1.34 MB)
- State of the nation – Andrew Burns, CIPFA President (PDF, 641 KB)
- The impact of Brexit on place – Paul Dossett and Ivana Dimitrova, Grant Thornton (PDF, 1.49 MB)
- Did Jeremy lose? – Alan Finch (PDF, 3.07 MB)
- Public services that pack a punch – Chris Naylor, London Borough of Barking and Dagenham (PDF, 1.61 MB)
- Women's equality – Sophie Walker, Women's Equality Party (PDF, 1.87 MB)
Public Finance in East Anglia Conference – 29 June 2017
- The revenge of geography: Facing the macro challenges of today – Dr Bob Swarup, Camdor Global Advisors (PDF, 2.47 MB)
- Social care and integration: Reality, resilience, myths and manifestos – Jane Payling, CIPFA (PDF, 2.82 MB)
- Health and social care integration – Ciaran McLaughlin, Grant Thornton (PDF, 1.02 MB)
- The impact of Brexit on public services – Ciaran McLaughlin and Ivana Dimitrova, Grant Thornton (PDF, 1.33 MB)
- Brexit insight: local government focus – Grant Thornton (PDF, 539 KB)
New members' ceremony – 17 May 2017
Spring Conference 2017 – 23 March 2017
- The UK's political and economic horizons – Tony Travers, LSE (PDF, 548 KB)
- The impact of Brexit on public services – Guy Clifton and Ivana Dimitrova, Grant Thornton (PDF, 1.62 MB)
- CIPFA and the World Bank Initiatives in East Africa – Mark Williams, PA Consulting Group (PDF, 336 KB)
- CIPFA domestic and international developments – Alison Sweeting, CIPFA (PDF, 346 KB)
- Sustainability and Transformation Plans: Closer working between Health & Social Care – Jane Payling, CIPFA (PDF, 2.54 MB)
- Counter Fraud Centre update – Rachel Tiffen, CIPFA (PDF, 3.19 MB)
- Spring Conference 2016 CPD certificate (Word, 346 KB)