What's going on?
Find out about regional activities in the South East.
Download CIPFA South East's 2023 events plan (updated May 2023) (PDF, 20 KB)
Please contact John Barker, Regional Secretary, if you have any questions about our events: email@example.com
CIPFA South East members are invited to attend AAT London branch events
Photos from recent events can be viewed on CIPFA South East's Flickr.
Essex Hub Group event, 19 January 2023
- Business transformation and transformational budgeting, Graham Oliver, Director, MOORE Optima (PDF, 2.78 MB)
- Financial sustainability: functional readiness to meet future challenges, Tom Foster, Principal Consultant, and Michael Pilcher, Associate Director, Grant Thornton (PDF, 395 KB)
- CPD certificate (Word, 370 KB)
Annual Dinner 2022, 11 November 2022
Photos from the CIPFA South East Annual Dinner 2022
North Anglia Day Conference, 14 October 2022
- Welcome, Alan Water, Leader of Norwich City Council (PDF, 1.26 MB)
- Resourcing climate emergencies and net zero strategies / Scanning the political and economic horizon, Roy Nolan and Andrew Hinds, Client Relationship Managers, RP Martin (PDF, 1.18 MB)
- Rising to the challenge: global to local, Matthew Hardwick, Senior Risk Consultant, Zurich Municipal (PDF, 1.42 MB)
- CIPFA Presidential themes: stronger together, social mobility, sustainability, Caroline Rassell, CIPFA Vice President (PDF, 478 KB)
- CIPFA’s Financial Resilience Initiatives, David Ellis, Finance Advisor, CIPFA Finance Advisory Network (PDF, 779 KB)
- Prudential Code for capital finance in local authorities, Jackie Shute, Public Sector Live (PDF, 1.33 MB)
- Financial sustainability: functional readiness to meet future challenges, Grant Thornton (PDF, 426 KB)
CIPFA’s Prudential Code – the 2022/23 ‘soft launch’, 18 May 2022
Workplace wellbeing – successful hybrid working, 4 May 2022
Spring Conference 2022, 26 April 2022
- The economic and political horizon: implications for the UK’s public finances, Tony Travers, Director, Greater London Group, LSE (PDF, 1.57 MB)
- Levelling Up: the White Paper and beyond, Ben Zaranko, Senior Research Economist, IFS (PDF, 2.08 MB)
- Why good governance is important, Tom Foster, Associate Director, and Becky Toner, Assistant Manager, Public Sector Assurance, Grant Thornton (PDF, 539 KB)
- Rising to the challenge: global to local, Alix Bedford, Risk Proposition Manager, Zurich Municipal (PDF, 969 KB)
- Climate emergencies and net zero: turning aspirations into reality, Andrew Hinds, Public Sector Relationship Manager, RP Martin, and Brian Davidson, Head of Climate Economics, Fathom Consulting (PDF, 1.72 MB)
Annual Dinner 2021, 19 November 2021
Photos from the CIPFA South East Annual Dinner 2021
Towards net zero: The public sector contribution, 2 November 2021
This virtual seminar was timed to coincide with the first week of the COP26 Conference in Glasgow. It introduced some of the issues that we will be including in our 2022 live and virtual regional events programme.
Public investment in place and infrastructure: the role of local government, 1 July 2021
A live Q&A panel hosted by Trowers & Hamlins LLP and featuring contributions from Copper Consultancy (Infrastructure and development engagement specialists).
Home and hybrid working: the good, the bad and the future?, 28 June 2021
Emma Nixey, The Inclusion Initiative, led an interactive webinar as part of our Workplace Wellbeing series. This interactive session explored how colleagues have fared during the COVID-19 pandemic and offered some practical tips for self-assessment of fatigue, isolation and stress. The webinar is available to watch on Vimeo (Password: hybrid).
Virtual Spring Conference 2021, 30 April 2021
Our presenters shared their views on the post pandemic challenges and opportunities for our membership, maintaining sector resilience and governance standards, the 'levelling up' agenda, climate change pressures and potential international influences for the UK's post-COVID public services. The virtual Spring Conference is available to watch on Vimeo (Password: Spring).
Diversity, equality and inclusion within the workplace, 20 April 2021
The presentation by Verna Duncan and Nneb Akpom-simon, Red Rhino Consultancy, with introduction by Paul Clarke, Director of Finance, London Borough of Islington is available to watch on Vimeo (Password: Diversity).
Budget 2021: What did we learn? and Levelling Up, 12 March 2021
The presentations from Ben Zaranko, Research Economist, Institute for Fiscal Studies are available to watch on Vimeo (Password: Budget2021).
Financial resilience, addressing future risks and developing good governance, 29 January and 5 February 2021
During January and February 2021, the CPD theme was Resilience, Risk and Governance. Five presentations (approximately 30 minutes each) are now available to watch on Vimeo (Password: Resilience).
- Spending Review 2020, Ben Zaranko, Institute for Financial Studies (PDF, 1.42 MB)
- Risky times for the road ahead?, Alix Bedford, Zurich Municipal (PDF, 635 KB)
- Capital financing risk management, Roy Nolan and Andrew Hinds, RP Martin (PDF, 341 KB)
- CIPFA Prudential Code update and the 2021 consultation timetable, David Ellis, CIPFA (PDF, 460 KB)
- Financial resilience in local government, Paul Dossett, Grant Thornton (PDF, 227 KB)
- CPD certificate (Word, 368, KB)
International events, 26 October 2020
Climate Emergency, 15 October 2020
Climate change and carbon reduction, 13 October 2020
CIPFA FM Code, 29 September 2020
New Normal, new risks, 21 September 2020
Public Finance in Wessex 2020 Conference, 12 March 2020
- Climate change and the pivotal role of finance, Roy Nolan and Andrew Hinds, RP Martin (PDF, 834 KB)
- Risk propositions – commercial investment, climate and global issues, Alix Bedford, Zurich Municipal (PDF, 1.00 MB)
- The long-term financial sustainability of local government, Guy Clifton and Simon Christian, Grant Thornton UK LLP (PDF, 1.40 MB)
- The Northamptonshire story: the Council that failed, Brian Roberts, Northamptonshire County Council (PDF, 197 KB)
CPD and networking evening, 29 January 2020
Annual Dinner 2019, 15 November 2019
Thames Valley Hub Group Meeting, 4 November 2019
West Sussex Hub Group Meeting, 10 September 2019
Spring Conference 2019, 27 March 2019
- The UK's political and economic horizon – Tony Travers, LSE (PDF, 2.14 MB)
- Managing cost risk in Children’s Services – Alex Khaldi, Barbara Peacock and Claire Hampson, Grant Thornton UK LLP (PDF, 1.17 MB)
- Building financial resilience – Joanne Pitt, CIPFA (PDF, 1.04 MB)
- Brexit legal update – Paul McDermott, Trowers and Hamlins LLP (PDF, 777 KB)
- The future of outsourcing – Mark Williams, PA Consulting Group (PDF, 806 KB)
- The changing role of finance – Mark Williams, PA Consulting Group (PDF, 575 KB)
- Finance Business Partnering – Brendan McCarron, CIPFA (PDF, 425 KB)
- Ethics and you – under pressure? – Rick Tazzini, CIPFA Ethics Working Group (PDF, 2.37 MB)
- Spring Conference 2019 CPD certificate (PDF, 260 KB)
Public Finance in Wessex 2019 Conference, 6 March 2019
- Building financial resilience – Joanne Pitt, CIPFA (PDF, 1.04 MB)
- An introduction to Financial Foresight – Tom Foster, Grant Thornton (PDF, 1.40 MB)
- The UK's political and economic horizon – Tony Travers, LSE (PDF, 2.29 MB)
- Carbon Reduction and the public sector – Roy Nolan and Andrew Hinds, RP Martin (PDF, 1.06 MB)
- Financial governance and the impact of austerity – Laura Hardie (PDF, 1.33 MB)
- Auditing post austerity – a changing focus? – Neil Hunter, LGSS (PDF, 912 KB)
- Accounts closedown issues and future Code changes – David Ellis, CIPFA (PDF, 530 KB)
- Ethical investment – environmental, social and governance factors – Laura Hobbs, CCLA (PDF, 1.27 MB)