CIPFA Annual General Meeting 2022 round-up
This year’s Annual General Meeting (AGM) took place on 12 July at the ACC Liverpool. The presidency passed to Jayne Owen, and the new honorary officers were introduced.
Honorary officers for 2022/23
President Jayne Owen
Vice President Caroline Rassell
Junior Vice President Carol Culley
Past President Mike Driver
During his speech, Mike Driver noted that 2021 was characterised by challenge, uncertainty and change, both for CIPFA and the public sector at large. CIPFA achieved a lot in 2021, notably working closely with the Department for Levelling up, Housing and Communities (DLUHC) to advise on:
- business rates, collection fund and accounting
- significant and important revisions to the Prudential Code and Treasury Management Code following consultations
- the publication of a landmark report on the practice of sustainability reporting in the public sector
- the launch of the International Financial Reporting for Non-Profit Organisations (IFR4NPO) project in partnership with Humentum, and
- the launch of our ground-breaking Counter Fraud Investigator Apprenticeship (CFIA).
Rob Whiteman CBE, Chief Executive, outlined the good financial progress CIPFA made in 2021, delivering a £3.5m trading surplus. Rob advised that talks are continuing about our future closer working relationship with ICAEW – research and working groups have been established between the two institutions. Issues for next year will be on soaring inflation and the cost of living crisis, health and care integration and challenges around local audit and improving timeliness. Levelling up will play a significant part in policy making, and climate change will continue to cause disruption and uncertainty, and the public sector needs to play its part.
Gareth Moss, CIPFA’s Chief Finance Officer, advised there is investment in the organisation’s strategic priorities to:
- be a strong advocate for sound public financial management, having a positive influence and impact on practice
- be the membership, education and lifelong learning provider of choice for public finance professionals
- support and advise organisations, strengthening their public financial management
- deliver exceptional business support, with the customer as our focus.